REVIEW – Since everyone who reads my reviews already knows that I’m remodeling a basement, I won’t go into those details. Everyone also already knows that I believe in the importance of having all the necessary tools for the job and as such I have quite an extensive selection of tools relevant to my DIY projects and tasks. I’m now in the section where I’m building my internal bar, and I’m using this nice pine lumber I found with hex head screws to mount the lumber to the metal studs to create my rustic look concept. To do this properly I have to drill pilot holes and then drive in the hex screws. This is a tedious process as I normally have to use 2 drivers and switch between them when changing from drill bit to hex screw bit. Well, it’s no longer tedious. Enter the Worx Nitro 20V Brushless Switchdriver 2.0 2-in-1 Cordless Drill and Driver!!
What is that?
The Worx Nitro 20V Brushless Switchdriver 2.0 2-in-1 Cordless Drill/Driver is a Next-gen Switchdriver 2.0 that includes all the features of the original Switchdriver, but with upgrades like a brushless motor and smart digital display. It comprises a high-efficiency brushless motor that runs 50% longer and is 25% more powerful than its predecessor, Dual rotating 1/4″ chucks let you switch between drill bits or screwdriving bits faster, a smart digital interface and a keypad that allows you to quickly change between 9 torque settings and avvariable speed trigger.
What’s in the box
1 x Worx Nitro 20V Brushless Switchdriver 2.0 2-in-1 Cordless Drill/Driver
1 x 2″ screwdriver bit
1 x 1/8″ Hex Shank HSS Drill Bit
2 HSS 3/32″ hex shank drill bits
1 x belt hook
1x carry bag
1 x 2.0Ah battery (WA3575)
1 quick charger (WA3881)
1 user manual
Design and features
- Power to Outperform-Worx NITRO™ tools are designed to deliver superior power, performance and run time.
- The next-gen Switchdriver 2.0 includes all the features of the original Switchdriver, but with upgrades like a brushless motor and smart digital display.
- Featuring a high efficiency brushless motor that runs 50% longer, is 25% more powerful and has 10% longer life compared to brushed motors.
- Dual 1/4″ rotating chucks allow you to switch between drill bits or screwdriving bits faster than ever.
- The smart digital interface and keypad let you quickly change between 9 torque settings and easily adjust between drilling and driving.
- The variable speed trigger allows for easy starting and complete control on drilling and driving applications.
- The 2-speed gearbox can handle basic and more advanced drilling and screwdriving projects.
- Ergonomic, lightweight design with Gripzone micro-texture provides ultimate comfort and reduces user fatigue.
- Same battery, expandable power. The same battery powers over 75 Power Share™ family 20V, 40V and 80V lifestyle, garden and power tools.
Battery capacity: 2.0Ah
Idle speed: 0-450 / 0-1700 rpm
Chuck size: 1/4″ Dual
Maximum torque: 443 inch-pounds.
Mass: 2.71 lbs.
The Worx Switchdriver 2.0 2-in-1 is designed with 2 built-in quick release chucks and an ergonomically designed knob to allow chucks to be switched by turning the head. it also features the usual directional button in the middle of the body and a torque selector with a digital display on top. At the bottom of the handle there is a quick release for the battery and on the battery. There is a charge level indicator touchpad.
The first thing I did was check the charge level of the included battery, then I charged it fully.
I tested this Switchdriver on my current DIY project which is to build a bar in my basement. Since I was using metal dowels and had to mount the wood face to the dowels, I wanted to drill a pilot hole for each hex screw and then drive it in. Accomplishing this task with this device was a fantastic experience and probably saved me at least 50% of the time needed if I had to use two pilots. Once I dialed in the torque level I needed, there was enough torque and it worked amazingly well. The only issue I encountered was that when the screw was tightened, the Switchdriver would go on and initially twist my wrist. I adjusted accordingly.
The photo below shows the wooden face of the bar with an integrated chimney that I attached to the metal studs using this tool. This is my concept of rustic, so I wanted the look and feel of the visible hex screw heads.
See in action
What I like
- Build quality
- Long-lasting battery charging
- Quick release chucks
- The quick release when switching from one chuck to another
- The power is more than enough for a drill/driver
- The overall design
- It provides more than enough torque
What I would change
I’ve already tested a few Worx tools and loved them. The Worx Nitro 20V Brushless Switchdriver 2.0 2-in-1 Cordless Drill and Driver is no exception and if I’m being totally honest, as I continue to remodel my basement, this is the first tool I use. The ability to drill pilot holes, then simply turn the head around and drive in a screw or nut is irreplaceable. The fact that it has quick release chucks makes changing bits quick and easy. In my humble opinion, this tool is a winner. I give him a thumbs up and two thumbs up!!
Or buy: Worx and Amazon website
Source: The sample for this review was provided by Worx.