Anadolu says Interpol issued a red notice for Turkish mob boss Sedat Peker, who made videos accusing some Turkish officials of various crimes.
Turkey has sent a request to the United Arab Emirates to arrest and repatriate convicted Turkish mafia boss Sedat Peker after Interpol issued him a red notice, according to state-run Anadolu news agency.
The agency said on Wednesday that the country’s Justice Ministry made the decision after the notice was issued by the international organization on February 1.
Peker, 50, rose to prominence in the 1990s as a gang figure and was sentenced to 14 years in prison in 2007 for crimes including forming and leading a criminal gang. He was released several years ago.
Turkish authorities opened another investigation into Peker in April last year. Soon after, he garnered millions of viewers on YouTube when he started sharing videos in which he made allegations of corruption and criminality against senior Turkish government officials. Ankara has denied the allegations.
The videos were shot in the United Arab Emirates, with which Turkey has recently been working to mend long-standing relations, having been at odds with a number of regional issues over the past decade.
Peker was questioned by Dubai police in June but was later released. He hasn’t posted any videos since last summer, saying the UAE asked him to refrain from doing so.
Although he was active on Twitter even after the videos stopped, Peker hasn’t tweeted since late November.
Earlier this month, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was greeted with a grand ceremony in the United Arab Emirates as he visited the Gulf country to mark the end of the period of animosity. The countries signed a series of economic agreements during his trip.